Tuesday, February 1, 2011

1st Post

After spending three weeks of being reluctant to wanting to write about what I know, which is Microbiology and biotech, I decided to stick with it. Initially, I didn’t really want to go this route because I thought everyone would be intimidated by the subject. I have this notion, because whenever I talk about anything biology related around my friends, which almost never happens, they get really disgusted or develop this very mean stare at me as if I just committed a crime. They “just don’t understand it” is the reason for their unpleasant reactions. However, almost any subject is confusing if you don’t know anything about it. Since, I almost never talk about my field of study outside of the classroom, I figured what other better way to do it than in a Blog. Besides, I think science as a whole is misunderstood and anytime there is a featured article biology related, or any science, on popular sites such as YAHOO, MSN and in television it does a terrible job at providing basic knowledge of the topic. I feel people are misinformed or lacking in knowledge about mainstream bio issues such as stem cells,  HIV, and genetic engineering. There are also many other applications of Microbiology and biotech that I think would be interesting for people when made comprehensible.

No comments:

Post a Comment